Sunday, November 30, 2014

Why Be a Comedy Writer?

Why Be a Comedy Writer?


In college, when I was finishing my doubled-up Journalism/English degree, people read my stuff in the newspaper and told me I should be a writer.


I thought at the time, “I don’t want to be a writer.  It’s not that much fun.  It takes a long time to really craft something. It’s isolating and lonely. You’ll always be writing only what some organization allows you to write.  And it doesn’t really pay much.”


That’s pretty much how I felt about occupational writing until I started working as a comedy writer, in both standup and in TV talk shows.  Comedy writing is different.  
()  Comedy writing is fast.  A lot of times the stuff is short, needs to be done that day, and it gets on stage or screen really pretty much immediately.  Much more satisfying that way, and doesn’t drudge along through draft after draft.


()  People read your stuff and laugh out loud.  You get to see the reactions.  Much more fun that way then sending something out into the world and never hearing squat in response.


()  Comedy in general isn’t as conservative as other writing.  You still have parameters for what kind of comedy someone wants, and you still get smacked down for going “too far,” or not respecting the seriousness of serious topics, but comedy writing is way freer than other formats like journalism, advertising, PR, TV news, etc.


()  It’s not usually a lonely profession.  If you’re writing comedy you’re usually doing it for someone who has to say it, so you talk to that person a lot. There’s a head writer who is also a comedy writer, and they both appreciate and understand the jokes.  Comedy writing at the pro level is usually group work, so while that can be competitive, it’s also awesome when you get to work with funny people.  Especially funny people who also think you’re funny.  Best job ever.


()  Comedy writing can pay a lot.  I’ve had jobs that paid $5,000 a week.  For jokes!  You have to write a lot of press releases to get five grand.  When the situation is right, comedy writing is well-compensated.  I’m not saying it always is, but sometimes, it’s cash-sweet.


()  Finally, I find comedy writing to be creatively, intellectually, and morally satisfying.  There are all sorts of things your brain has to keep up with in the culture if you want to be able to write well.  There are tons of creative language elements you need to be able to pull off (rhythm, word choice, tropes, flow, etc.)  And there are so many great and worthy comedy targets, you can get your judgments of those people and institutions out there in your jokes.

So, yeah, I still don’t want to be a professional writer.  But I definitely love being a professional comedy writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment